Senior Year Entry Programme
Bachelor of Engineering with Honours in Civil and Environmental Engineering
Non-Jupas Programme Code: BENGHCEEJS
Full-time Face-to-Face: Senior Year Entry Degree Programme for AD/HD Graduates
To meet future air traffic growth and maintain Hong Kong’s competitiveness as an international aviation hub, the Airport Authority (AA) planned to expand Hong Kong International Airport (HKIA) into a three-runway system (3RS). On 26 April 2016, the Chief Executive-in-Council granted the approval for the draft Chek Lap Kok Outline Zoning Plan, as well as the authorisation of the reclamation under the Foreshore and Sea-bed (Reclamations) Ordinance for the expansion of HKIA into a 3RS. The new three-runway system project includes:
- Reclamation of approximately 650 hectares of land north of the existing airport island (equivalent to 34 Victoria Parks, or 100 artificial islands for the New Wing of Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Centre). Non-dredge methods, including deep cement mixing technique will be used for reclamation.
- Building the Third Runway Passenger Building with more than 280,000 square metres of floor area, a total of 57 new parking positions (frontal: 34, remote: 23) and an apron.
- Building a 3,800-metre-long new runway and its supporting taxiway systems. The existing north runway will also be reconfigured.
- Building a 2,600-metre-long new Automated People Mover (APM) system connecting Terminal 2 with the new passenger building. This new APM system travels at a top speed of 80km/h and would take 2.5 minutes to travel from Terminal 2 to the new passenger building. It can transport up to 10,800 passengers per hour.
- Building a new Baggage Handling System (BHS) linking Terminal 2 with the new passenger building with a baggage transport speed of 7 to 10m/sec.
- Expansion of the existing Terminal 2 to provide arrivals, departures and full-fledged passenger services.
- Construction of other associated airport support infrastructure, road network and transportation facilities.
The HKIE past president Ir Prof. Choy Kin-kuen visited over 50 construction firms and concluded that the construction industry could face a severe shortage of engineering staff if the government continues to pile on more work for contractors and consultants. Staff vacancies in engineering companies were running at 20 percent.
Therefore, the offer of the proposed four-year full-time BEng (Hons) in Civil and Environmental Engineering programme can cater the demand of secondary school leavers on Civil and Environmental Engineering programmes in the market. The fundamental and essential knowledges on engineering mechanics, dynamics, civil engineering, building engineering, structural engineering and environmental engineering, etc. together with the advanced subjects in civil engineering, environmental science and engineering, construction and project management, etc. are included in the curriculum of this proposed four-year programme. This programme is now applying the accreditation from HKIE.
Highlights of Programme
The aims of the programme are to
- provide students with professional skills in the design, construction and management of the civil infrastructure, as well as an awareness of environmental sustainability
- equip them to play a key role in the industry of civil, environmental and construction engineering.
- train them with good communication skills so they can work effectively in large projects involving different parties and professions.
Senior year entry: Direct entry
The requirement for Senior Year entry will be a recognized Higher Diploma, Associate Degree, or equivalent, in Civil Engineering, Building Engineering, Building Technology and Structural Engineering or a related discipline.
The programme structure is as follows:
|Structural Analysis (ENGG S208F)||Computer Applications for Test Engineering (TC S120F)|
|Laboratory Safety and Good Laboratory Practices (SCI S110F)||Water and Wastewater Treatment Techniques for Civil Engineering (ENGG S207F)|
|Fluid Mechanics (ENGG S202F)||Engineering Mechanics (ENGG S101F)|
|Foundation and Construction Engineering (ENGG S201F)||Engineering Geology & Soil Mechanics (ENGG S209)|
|Guided Industrial Training (ENGG S290F)|
|Introduction to Material Science (ENGG S260F)||Project Management for Engineering (ENGG S301F)|
|Quality Management for Science & Technology (TC S319F)||Environmental Pollution & Global Climate Changes (ENVR S307F)|
|Advances in Environmental Impact Assessment (ENVR S328F)||Physical & Mechanical Behavior of Materials ((TC S330F)|
|Professional Practice and Ethics (TC S420F)|
|Industrial Placement for Civil and Environmental Engineering (ENGG S S391F)|
|Construction Information Technology (ENGG S403F)||Geotechnical Design (ENGG S406F)|
|Reinforced Concrete and Structural Steel Design ( ENGG S405F)||Highway and Traffic Engineering (ENGG S407F)|
|Energy Resources and Sustainable Energy (ENVR S311F)||Hydraulic and Hydrology (ENGG S408F)|
|Engineering Project (ENGG S490F)|