Open Entry Programme
Associate of Science in Testing and Applied Science
Part-time Distance Learning Programme Code: ASTAS
Testing and certification has been identified by the HKSAR Government as one of the industries where Hong Kong has good prospect for development. The Hong Kong Council for Testing and Certification (HKCTC) was established by the HKSAR Government to lead, support, advance and promote the development of the industry. In response to the government’s policy, The Open University of Hong Kong is offering a suite of undergraduate programmes to prepare professionals to meet the challenges of the relevant industries.
Highlights of Programme
This programme helps students to gain basic analytical, technical, theoretical and practical knowledge in aspects of testing and applied science, and equip them to play a role in the industry of testing science. Graduates will also be qualified for further study in testing and certification, applied sciences or related areas in the OUHK or other tertiary institutions in Hong Kong and elsewhere.
- Candidates who are 17 years of age or above can enroll this distance learning programme.
The programme structure is as follows:
- 30 credits from foundation-level courses (ENGL E120, IT E150, MATH S122, SCI S123, SCI S124)
- 30 credits from middle-level courses (CHEM S251, STAT S242, TC S261)
- 20 credits from free-choice from any foundation level or middle level course offered by the University
Graduates will acquire basic knowledge of the concepts, techniques, and tools in testing science. Graduates will find career opportunities in a broad range of testing and certification industries. Apart from working in the testing and certification industry, graduates are prepared to be articulated to top-up degrees offered by OUHK or other tertiary institutions. Possible articulations to OUHK’s programmes include (but not limit to):
- Full-time face-to-face top-up programmes:
- BSc (Hons) in Testing Science (Food)
- BSc (Hons) in Testing Science (Environmental Protection)
- BSc (Hons) in Statistical Analysis
- Distance learning programmes:
- BSc/BSc (Hons) in Product Design, Testing and Certification (Pathway Entry)
- BSc/BSc (Hons) in Statistics and Decision Science
- BSc/BSc (Hons) in Mathematical Studies